New Ask Virgil discussion board.

Anything relating to the message board itself.

Moderator: jasonb

jasonb
Site Administrator

New Ask Virgil discussion board.

Post by jasonb »

The discussion board software has just been changed from Discus to phpBB. The main reason I've done this is that I've become so used to using phpBB due to my involvement at MozillaZine, and would prefer to keep working with the same software.

Please bear with me as I try to configure things to get rid of some annoying interface issues.

I have done a manual copy/paste of old posts in order to preserve history - although the dates are now off because of this. (I could find no automated way of importing the old Discus messages.) I also took the liberty of removing any off-topic posts from the old board in the process.

While I haven't actually tested this out, it should be the case that you need to register in order to post or reply. (Although anybody is free to read any existing posts.)
jasonb
Site Administrator

Post by jasonb »

I've removed the section of code in the "new post" template that displays the emoticon panel, and I also got rid of the BBCode panel.

I'm working on getting the Subject: and Message body: text areas to resize dynamically, rather than using a fixed width. In trying to figure this out, I've been looking at MozillaZine's code but haven't had much immediate luck.
jasonb
Site Administrator

Post by jasonb »

I figured out that dynamic resizing issue. It had to do with wrapping the existing form code inside a "width=100%" table definition.

Also resolved an issue with the forums not refreshing properly.