Encrypted private messages.

Anything relating to the message board itself.

Moderator: jasonb

jasonb
Site Administrator

Encrypted private messages.

Post by jasonb »

This board lets you send message (like email) to other board members. (The menu item at the top that, if you have no messages, reads "You have no new messages".) These are messages that only you have access to - except that they are stored in the server's database in plain text. This might be of concern for anybody who doesn't trust that the server won't be broken into, or who doesn't trust the person running it. (I hope that isn't the case here!) It might also be of some concern if you share a username/password with somebody else - but, despite this, you don't want them to see a "secure" message that was sent to you.

I've written and installed a modification that will let you encrypt a message (so that it appears to be nothing but garbage characters) and send that to somebody else. The person receiving it will also see garbage characters (as would anybody who might have broken into the server) unless they decrypt it by entering the same password that you used when you encrypted it originally.

This is probably something that would have never come up - but I like fiddling with computer things and thought I'd try implementing it.
jasonb
Site Administrator

Re: Encrypted private messages.

Post by jasonb »

Since this board is now running phpBB 3, this feature is no longer available.