phpBB: Post smilies without the annoying control panel.

Technical Q&A involving operating systems, networking, software, and hardware issues.

Moderator: jasonb

jasonb
Site Administrator

phpBB: Post smilies without the annoying control panel.

Post by jasonb »

I recently realised that the phpBB forum I go to most often (MozillaZine) while not having the smiley "control panel" that's part of a default install (I don't have it here either) does have a little link underneath "Message body" titled "Add Smilies" - which you see when composing a message.

I don't currently remember how I got rid of the smilies (or emoticon) control panel (although I did post about having done so here, so I can't document that step of things.

(Actually, I wish now that I had documented all of the things I did initially to customize it from the defaults. I also removed the "BBCode" panel - no doubt in a similar fashion. Oh, well.)

In any case, assuming that you've (somehow) got rid of the smilies panel, here's what you can do to add a non-obtrusive link to it, as I've already done here.

You have to make two changes.

One to templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl, changing:

Code: Select all

<td class="row1" width="100px"><span class="gen"><b>{L_MESSAGE_BODY}</b></span></td>
to:

<td class="row1" width="100px"><span class="gen"><b>{L_MESSAGE_BODY}</b></span><p><a href="{U_MORE_SMILIES}" onclick="window.open('{U_MORE_SMILIES}', '_phpbbsmilies', 'HEIGHT=300,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,WIDTH=250');return false;" target="_phpbbsmilies" class="nav">{L_MORE_SMILIES}</a></td>
The other change was to language/lang_english/lang_main.php, changing:

$lang['More_emoticons'] = 'View more Emoticons';
to:

$lang['More_emoticons'] = 'Add Smilies';
After that, you should now see things as they are here.

I'm off to grab some more smilies for those people who like to use them...
jasonb
Site Administrator

Post by jasonb »

Also, there's a really good set of additional smilies that I've installed here. Aside from actually composing something and clicking on the "Add Smilies" link, you can get a preview of them here, and download them from here.

To fix things so that they all fit into the popup window, you need to change two files.

Edit includes/functions_post.php to make the following change:

$window_columns = 7;
Edit templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl in the following manner:

<td class="row1" width="100px"><spanclass="gen"><b>{L_MESSAGE_BODY}</b></span><p><a href="{U_MORE_SMILIES}" onclick="window.open('{U_MORE_SMILIES}', '_phpbbsmilies','HEIGHT=310,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,WIDTH=310');return false;"target="_phpbbsmilis" class="nav">{L_MORE_SMILIES}</a></td>